Curriculum

JIS website design Curriculum 11

Primary

Jesselton International School Primary

In JIS Primary years programme, students are divided into Lower Primary (Primary 1 – Primary 3) and Upper Primary (Primary 4 – Primary 6). Primary students cover Key Stages 1 & 2, working towards completing their primary level education to be prepared to advance onto secondary.

We believe that children have as much to learn from one another as they do from their teachers. With this in mind, we have planned to ensure that our students are well nurtured within a broad and representative community of peers.

Our classrooms and curriculum are designed to foster partnership and participation. Learning environments are flexible and neatly organised to promote clear, strategic thinking.

The Primary School students will explore the ideas of others while they develop a refined understanding of their strengths through the selection of considerately designed tasks and activities.

We believe that the classroom is the canvas; our children bring the colour.

The Primary curriculum subjects are based on the National Standards of England and include Cambridge learning targets.

The Core Subjects include :

  • English
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • History
  • Geography
  • Malaysian History
  • Foreign Languages including Malay, Mandarin, and French.
  • Creative classes include Music, Arts, ICT, and PE

Primary 1 – Primary 2

The overall grades are based on continuous classroom observations, presentations, classwork activities, and projects.

Primary 3 

The progress report card for Term 1 and Term 2 is 100% based on continuous classroom observations, presentations, classwork activities, and projects. 

In Term 3, the Final Grades are 80% based on formal examinations which contain the Annual Exams, while the other 20% are based on continuous classroom observations, presentations, classwork activities, and projects.

Due to the nature of our curriculum and the process of assessing the students, it is expected that students achieve at least a 50% passing grade towards the end of an academic year, for the student to advance to the next year level. 

Primary 4 – Primary 6: 

The progress report card for Term 1 is 100% based on continuous classroom observations, presentations, classwork activities, and projects.

The Half-Yearly Grades and Final Grades are 80% based on formal examinations which contain the Half-Yearly Exams and the Annual Exams, while the other 20% are based on continuous classroom observations, presentations, classwork activities, and projects.

Due to the nature of our curriculum and the process of assessing the students, it is expected that students achieve at least a 50% passing grade towards the end of an academic year, for the student to advance to the next year level. 

Student attendance during this assessment period is crucial as they are not permitted to re-sit examinations due to absences.

Student assessment is an on-going process. Formative and Summative Assessments will be conducted regularly throughout the year, except when the Half-Yearly and Annual Examinations are conducted.  The student’s progress reports will be issued on a termly basis (3 times a year) followed by a parent/teacher consultation.

Primary Progress Report

The student’s progress reports are based on the teacher’s continuous observation of the student’s attitude, assimilation of knowledge, interest and progress in classwork, homework, bookwork, assignments and tests.

JIS website design Curriculum 10

Head Of Primary

Ms Christine Wong

Meet The Head Of Primary

I would like to welcome you to Jesselton International Primary School!

In JIS, we have built a program that bridges academic and achievement gaps and readies young people for a future that focuses not only on academics but also their talents and skills.

When you visit us, you will find a positive and safe school environment; energetic and dedicated teachers who plan thoughtfully for engaging instruction and go beyond the expected to support student growth. We stay connected with parents through the Class Dojo app and my team of teachers have used this platform more so during the current pandemic together.

JIS believes in partnership with students and parents to help cultivate a generation of independent, self-sufficient learners and full of motivation. Parental involvement benefits all children. Parents, you are like your children’s dedicated aide and by collaborating with the teachers in your children’s learning journey, we are up for a successful story.

We also have an academic program that values strong math and literacy skills, as well as creative expression and the arts; support systems that enable all learners to be successful; and a school community that is committed to all students. Yes, we have exams in the Primary School but with 20% coming from class assessments. Exams are also carefully formulated to cater to the learning needs of all students. Being an inclusive school, we work closely with our Special Needs Departments and the shadow aids for special needs students who join our mainstream classes.

And not forgetting our love for our Earth, our home. The KK Wetlands is nothing new to our children and we have a strong group of Nature Club children who strive to keep the environment safe for all.

You will be able to find more information about our Primary school through our School Website, Facebook or Instagram.

I look forward to seeing you soon.

Ms Christine Wong

Head of Primary

Jesselton International School